Saturday, February 22, 2014

That Fleeting Moment - Map Preview

Here's a preview of the map I've put together (with help from Chris and Tim) for what I plan to be my first Command Ops scenario.


The map is of the area around Gela, Sicily. The scenario, That Fleeting Moment concerns the counterattack on July 12, 1943 by elements of the Herman Goering and Livorno Divisions against the beachhead of the US 1st Infantry Division. With the map ready to go comes the tough part - creating and ESTAB that contains the Italian units necessary for this theater. Hopefully using the ESTAB editor is as easy as the Map Maker was. Even so, there's a lot of research to be done.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Once i got going it turned out to be pretty straightforward - in fact, I'd say that's about the best map editor I've worked with.

      I also found a page with tips on using Google Earth for Combat Mission maps. I'm going to try my had at some scenario creation there, too.

      Delete
    2. That's very cool. I've thought about creating Combat Mission scenarios but now I am thinking about Flashpoint. Looking forward to your missions.

      Delete
  2. Doug there might be Italian units in the Conquest of the Aegean game. Maybe ask Tim? I bet you could model off of those if they exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Chris, CoTA does have Italian units, I looked this morning. I guess its time for me to buy that expansion!

      Delete
  3. You are brave people. I'm still learning how to play :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe more foolish than brave! Unfortunately this week I've had zero time for this. Work has been pretty all consuming mentally.

      Delete